Friday @ HCH 2012
preview, discuss, connect
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

kudzurunner
93 posts
May 11, 2012
1:33 PM
Many of you will be cruising into Mississippi some point on Friday. Jeff and I will be at Foxfire Ranch from noon to about 3 PM. I will probably leave more like 2:30 or so and drive back down to Oxford to set up my stuff for what comes next.

The semi-official opening of HCH takes place NOT at the crossroads in rural Lafayette County, as it has for the past two years, nor at Foxfire, but instead at a place just outside Oxford called The Shak BBQ, which can easily be located by googling "shak BBQ oxford." It's just off Rt. 6, inbound from Batesville (i.e., traveling eastbound), about a quarter mile before the West Jackson Avenue turnoff. You'll see a light and, on the right, a gas station. Make a right turn and head up the hill. The Shak is the first right turn up the hill, immediately after the gas station. I suspect that parking is going to be a problem, but do the best you can.

The BBQ is a la carte: you buy whatever food and drink you want. There are various kinds of pork BBQ with the usual sides, and there's an extremely good smoked half-chicken.

The event begins around 4 and ends 7:30ish. Shine and I will play a 60 minute set from 5:30 to 6:30. No need to get there right at 4. Some time between 4 and 5 is good. There are no official activities scheduled, apart from general fellowship, hanging out, eating, drinking, talking harp. If Jeff is smart, he'll bring labels and sharpies so we can identify ourselves.

Assuming the weather is okay, Shine and I will set up and play on the outdoor stage. If the weather is crazy-warm or if it's raining or threatening to rain, we'll set up indoors. Either way, we'll have fun.

I believe that Jeff will transfer his registration-and-tagging operation from Foxfire to the Shak, but he'll need to clarify that here.

After things finish up at the Shak, there's an open jam session 2-3 miles away, at Rooster's on the Square. It's extremely easy to get to from The Shak. I believe it runs from 9 PM to 1 AM, but it may start slightly earlier.

Here's the map for The Shak BBQ:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=&daddr=10+Thacker+Heights+Drive+Oxford+MS+38655

Last Edited by on May 11, 2012 1:37 PM
Dhammer
13 posts
May 11, 2012
2:27 PM
Thanks for the info - I definitely intend to be there!!
Deak Harp
10 posts
May 12, 2012
9:50 PM
The jam will start at 9 .. Everyone will get to play if you want ....
atty1chgo
10 posts
May 13, 2012
7:53 AM
This will be my first time jamming at Rooster's. The first year I was just too scared, last year it was a bit crowded and I turned in early. This year will be different and I will lose my virginity on the Rooster's stage!
paulbunyn
7 posts
May 17, 2012
7:28 AM
I wouldn't recognize anyone by name, only forum handle! LOL

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.