Amps @ HCH?
preview, discuss, connect
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

gheumann
26 posts
May 07, 2012
7:36 AM
If you're bringing an amp to HCH, would you let me know please? Randy Landry (Lone Wolf Blues) and I are presenting a seminar on amps and tone and it is nice to demonstrate a variety of different style amps. i'm flyin' in - can't bring any myself.

Ideally I'd like to demo a "large" amp configuration (Meteor, HG50 or 1210, Sonny Jr Avenger, or Bassman), a multi-speaker mid-size amp (i.e. Mini-Meat, HG35, Sonny Jr Cruncher) and a small single speaker amp (Kalamazoo, VHT, Champ). I'm sure Randy will be bringing some cool toys. Others will be considered but this is about defining general classes of amp, not about an amp shoot out or showing off your baby per se.

Lemme know!

Thanks

----------
BlowsMeAway Productions
http://www.BlowsMeAway.com
kudzurunner
91 posts
May 08, 2012
9:19 AM
Greg: I will certainly bring my '55 Bassman along, plus at least one Premier Twin-8. Take a look at my amp list and let me know what you'd like:

http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/harmonica_amps.html
pharpo
47 posts
May 08, 2012
3:57 PM
Scooter (Meteor) is a friend of mine. I'll see if I can get my hands on one of his amps for the weekend.
gheumann
27 posts
May 08, 2012
9:42 PM
Hi Adam

The amps on your list but almost none are obtainable these days. I'd like to use amps that reflect what's available to players today.

PHarpo -would love to have a Meteor there.
----------
BlowsMeAway Productions
harmonica411
18 posts
May 09, 2012
12:31 PM
Greg, our sound technician also has a variety of amplifiers he will be bringing...from modern small tube amps to larger semi vintage models.
kudzurunner
92 posts
May 10, 2012
8:56 AM
@Greg: That word "available" is tricky. Lots of vintage amps are available, if one has the cash to pay for them, and as we know, lots of people aspire to them. One question an amp lecture might address is whether it's worth spending all that money for a vintage amp when so many good boutique amps are being made these days.

Heck, I could have sworn that somebody gave an amp lecture at HCH two years ago and used a vintage Kalamazoo--an amp he'd worked on, in fact--to demonstrate his points. Maybe that's why I assumed this year's amp guy might be interested in the old stuff. :)

I'll have my HG2 available, if you need it.

Last Edited by on May 10, 2012 8:59 AM
pharpo
49 posts
May 10, 2012
2:07 PM
@Greg....Talked to Scooter yesterday. He is gigging all weekend and does not have one "on the shelf" however one is almost done, and there are a couple other options.
His personal Amp has been signed by many pro's including Billy Branch...He's thinking of giving me that one and collecting some more autographs LOL, still working on it.
gheumann
29 posts
May 12, 2012
7:50 AM
Adam - I agree that some vintage amps are fairly easy to come by. about 60,000 Kalamazoo's were made - they come up on eBay every week. Most of the amps on your list are much more rare. They're cool collector's item amps for sure - but if I wanted a '55 Bassman? Fuggeddabout it. I'm just stating a preference to demonstrate what I feel is important for students to learn - which is what to expect from different speaker configurations, power levels, tube set-ups.

I'm sure there will be enough to choose from.

----------
BlowsMeAway Productions
theATL
12 posts
May 12, 2012
3:08 PM
I hope you don't mind my putting in my two cents as a newbie. I am definitely going to attend - in fact, it is one of the sessions I had identified as a *must see*.

There are a couple of things I would really like to get out of this session. First, I already have a Mackie SRM150, which I am planning on bringing. The reason I am bringing it is because I would like to learn if it is worth playing through this amp, or whether I need to start searching for something different. I assume this is not something I can try during the session, but I am hoping to hear someone play through this amp compared to some others just so I can hear what I have. There may be other people who have gear and want to compare it to an "ideal" setup? Who knows. But as a newbie, it is always helpful to understand whether I just suck, or whether the better sound has something to do with my gear (so far, I just suck).

Second, I would love to hear the tone of some really good amps so I know what to listen for. These amps may be out of reach for now, but if I am still plugging along at learning harp in a few years, I probably will want to spend some money for an amp, and if I am going to do it, it would be good to have a target in mind. Does not have to be the most expensive, but I would hate to spend my money for something upper-mid level only to find out it sounds like junk. It may be possible to spend less money for something that sounds better than a more expensive amp.

Finally, as someone who is fortunate enough to know how to fix tube gear, if I get a few amps in mind now, I can start looking for a broken one I can fix, thereby perhaps getting a better amp that does not work and fixing it rather than spending the same money for an amp that costs the same, but does not sound as good.

A list of specific things to look for would be great, such as a target wattage, specific tube complement or setups that generally work well, and I know there are definitely some specific speaker types that seem to work very well for harp. It would be fantastic to learn about these.

All this said, I had the great fortune to run into Harvey Burman from NOLA right at the beginning, and he stressed *not* playing through an amp at all for quite some time so I can learn to get good tone and clean notes before I jump into the world of amps. I definitely have heeded his advice.

So there you have it. I hope this is helpful, but of course lots of people are attending, and their desires may not match what I am looking for as a new player.

Oh - and one more thing. I do not know if you are covering mics or not, but it would be great to have a demo of different types of mics. Some that sound good, of course, but also some that sound like garbage, along with information on *why* they sound bad. I.e. always avoid a crystal mic, or whatever. Of course, the ever-present impedance mis-match problem is good to illustrate, but just one example of that is probably enough.

I hope this is useful input. I am very much looking forward to meeting everyone at HCH.

Brad
FatPat
29 posts
May 12, 2012
4:50 PM
Looking forward to seeing you Brad! If I was driving I would be bringing my Pignose G40V, we could have had our own amp session at Wall Doxey!!!
I can't wait for this shindig!!
gheumann
34 posts
May 12, 2012
8:11 PM
Brad - those are precisely the kind of things Randy and I want to address. I will be bringing mics of various kinds. I have a good bit of practical and experiential knowledge about amps, and Randy understands them from en engineer's perspective way more deeply than I do.

We won't have enough time to address every question during our presentation I'm sure but hit either of us up on the sidelines any time. I don't bite, and Randy Landy is one of the most down to earth guys you'll ever meet.
----------
BlowsMeAway Productions
Deak Harp
9 posts
May 12, 2012
9:38 PM
I will be bringing my 59 RI Tubed for harp .. Same one Rick Estrin went nutz over when he heard my amp on the cruise ....
theATL
13 posts
May 13, 2012
6:38 AM
Guys,

This sounds like a great session! Thank you so much for putting it together.

Brad
pharpo
52 posts
May 13, 2012
8:55 AM
I know ....I'm looking forward to it as well.byfua6
Johnny2lips
3 posts
May 14, 2012
7:57 AM
I'll bring an old Multivox Bass Combo I just picked up to see what I need to do to it to make it sing properly. I also have a no-name old tube amp that I'll bring to see what it's worth to tweak as well. I'm looking forward to learning tube configuration things... I may even be in the market for something bigger soon (ie even a bassman RI) as I'll be playing with a higher volume band.
paulbunyn
6 posts
May 17, 2012
7:00 AM
This is a lesson on my list as well. I know nothing about mics and amps, reading the posts is like reading old-school Latin to me, I'm totally lost.
I look forward to this major education I am "fixin" to get!!!

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.