Hill Country forum: > Foxfire Ranch Camping Area Location???
Foxfire Ranch Camping Area Location???
preview, discuss, connect
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

dougharps
14 posts
Apr 30, 2012
8:42 AM
This was a question I asked in the Camping Tips thread that had no response. Last year I camped out on the edge of the field, southeast of the pavilion in the field south of the pavilion (behind the stage and to the left, if you were in the pavilion).

The website states:

"The main campground is a large, flat, grassy area that is somewhat secluded and is a two-minute walk from the stage. There's also lots of acreage adjacent to the stage; most of it is gently sloping, but some of it is fine for camping. There's also parking space in this upper area for those with campers."

Here is the map. Does anyone know for sure where the "large flat grassy" camping area is relative to the pavilion? Is it the area east of the pavilion, through the trees, or is it somewhere else??? If you know, please fill me in.

Here is a map:

View Larger Map

----------
----------

Doug S.

Last Edited by on Apr 30, 2012 8:45 AM
kudzurunner
87 posts
Apr 30, 2012
2:02 PM
Doug: The main campground on the first year was SUPPOSED to be exactly as described; it was an area that was essentially a 45-second walk down behind the lower stage. Bill and I walked down there to take a look in the January before the 2010 event. Unfortunately, Bill Hollowell didn't manage to create a workable path down to that camping area. Nor, as far as I know, has he yet managed to do that. If you're looking for that area on the map, drop a plumb-line straight down from the noose (!) that surrounds the gazebo. The second stage, were it visible on the map, sits directly above a teardrop shaped section of woods. Just below that are a pair of..well, they look like grassy rounds. Balls? The left....nut....is where the campground was supposed to be.

People still managed to find acceptable places to camp. Some people camped up top, much closer to Bill and Annie's house. Many camped in a broad circle at a 50-yard remove from the gazebo.

I hope that people who camped one or both years will weigh in here.

Last Edited by on Apr 30, 2012 2:03 PM
dougharps
15 posts
May 01, 2012
8:44 PM
Thanks, Adam.

Where I camped last year was OK until shower runoff made a path to my door... It wasn't real bad, but I think I will find a different site this year. I just wanted to know the options.

I am really looking forward to another HCH, and am being joined by another Central Illinois player this year.
----------
----------

Doug S.
kudzurunner
89 posts
May 07, 2012
8:43 AM
I was just up at Foxfire yesterday afternoon. I'm happy to say that the lower camping area looks great! Bill Hollowell says there will definitely be camping down there this year. It's flat, grassy, and quiet. He's going to mow it so the grass is short.

The only potential problem in woodsy, grassy areas is of course ticks. I found one small one on me after my brief walk down there and back. I don't think it's a huge problem, but it's a potential problem, so I'd urge anybody who is going to be camping to bring along some DEET or the equivalent anti-pest application.
geezer1
1 post
May 07, 2012
9:19 AM
Amen on the ticks, I live about 50 miles north of the site and ticks are really bad this year, I don't know about the chiggers, but we have to pick them off of our dog everytime she goes out to romp...So heed his advise and bring DEET.
You won't be sorry
geezer1
2 posts
May 07, 2012
11:50 AM
Theres one more question I would like to ask. How close are the parking spaces to the main building, I am handicapped and can't walk long distances. Is there handicapped parking? Thanks
harmonica411
20 posts
May 09, 2012
12:48 PM
Geezer, send me and email with your "real" name and I will make sure those who control our parking know to allow you to park near the mail pavilion.

jeff@harmonica411.com
geezer1
3 posts
May 09, 2012
1:05 PM
Harmonica411 , I looked at the 2010 pictures and if the parking is that close, I don't think I will have a problem. I appreciate your offer to help... It looked like tha parking was around the building.
geezer1
4 posts
May 09, 2012
1:07 PM
I forgot to ask this? Will there be food for breakfast, lunch and dinner available on the grounds?

Thanks
Kingobad
52 posts
May 09, 2012
11:28 PM
Yes, and it is awesome...
paulbunyn
8 posts
May 17, 2012
7:56 AM
@ geezer1- I live about an hour due north of the event in Tennessee. I hope to meet you at HCH, sounds like we may be close enough to each other to meet up occasionally. I'll be camping in a Chevy HHR (grey). C U there!
geezer1
6 posts
May 17, 2012
4:04 PM
Disregard, everything is go, I will see you at HCH...Thanks paul

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.