Where I'm coming from
preview, discuss, connect
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

bluesharpNH
1 post
May 15, 2011
8:01 AM
Flying to Memphis on Thurs morning from Manchester NH and driving a rental to Miss and planning on attending all of the HCH events. Started playing harp about 4 years ago just when Adam started his youtube channel. I googled "free harmonica lessons" and saw a short vid of him at a bookstore in Portsmouth NH and have been a fan ever since. I'll be staying in Holly Springs and looking forward to meeting and playing with all of you. Can't wait to get there!

Mr. D
ConFlictz
12 posts
May 15, 2011
8:13 AM
story of my life lmao
Dhammer
2 posts
Feb 05, 2012
10:21 AM
Well, no one has done this yet, so I'll go first - as per instructions - Here's where I'm coming from :)
My Name is Dov Hammer, I live in Tel Aviv Israel. I have been playing harp since 1987, and consider myself "advanced - intermediate" - I can do the 4,5,6 overblows, but am clueless on overdraws...I am also a singer and have recorded 5 cds , mostly of original songs. I'm a big fan of classic Chicago Blues (James Cotton , both Walters, Sonny Boy Williamson, JR Wells) but also like a lot of more modern Blues and Rock. You can check out more about my music at www.dovhammer.com and about my main band "CG & The Hammer" at www.cgandthehammer.com
I'm really looking forward to coming to HCH - see y'all in May!
FatPat
6 posts
Feb 06, 2012
5:34 PM
Oh, and I'm from Norfolk, Va and I just heard Dr. Feellgood Potts on our local blues radio station today. Can't wait to see him in person!
Dhammer
3 posts
Feb 07, 2012
1:43 AM
I saw him play in a bar on Beale st. in Memphis - he was really good!
SeanOAloha
1 post
Feb 16, 2012
12:59 PM
Yo - My name is Sean O, I am originally from St Paul MN. I have lived on the Big Island of Hawaii since 2007. I am 31 yrs old. I have been playing harmonica for about 8 yrs on and off. More seriously in the past 2 years. My big brother Johnny gave me my first harmonica when I was in the midst of homelessness and severe drug use, I had recently been diagnosed with diabetes type 1 and I had just gotten out of a serious relationship, so I guess you could say the blues where right down my alley!! However I was not born with the blues in my soul, it has been developing in there for a good time now!! I have been off hard drugs for 5 years in oct and I am still struggling with health stuff and relationship issues but I live in paradise so it makes it a little easier to cope with the blues!! I have a Medical Marijuana Liscense with the state of hawaii as well. I have alot of exposure to musicians of all types, as I attend 3-5 open mics a week out here. I am learning more technical stuff now and am in need of structure and music theory knowledge. My tone is descent and I put about 1-2 hours practice a day in plus the open mics. I play to songs on Pandora and the radio in my car, I also play americana and songs from tab, as well as accompanying backing tracks. I recently started lessons with Jon Gindick and have spent alot of time on his methods!! I like to play americana, blues, rock and jazz, pop and Jawaiian which is Jamaican- Hawaiian music that you play straight harp to. My fav's are : my brother Johnny, James Cotton, BB King, and now starting to like Sonny Boy Williamson more and more!! I try to play john popper stuff for speed and tone practice. I am focusing on structure as well as, tongue-blocking, 1-4-5 etc., and singing the blues as I am not a good singer. I am excited to be coming out to the mainland to see family in May and my first stop is the Hill Country Harmonica jams, I am also doing Jon Gindicks one day Sonny Boy Camp!! I will be hopefully with my brother, and we will drive down from MN for 5 days of learning and jammin with all of you guys, I have been doing my homework so be ready to have your brains picked, In my life I have had few true passions and playing the HARMONICA is definetly my strongest passion, thanks to people like yall for sharing your passion with me and others as we SPREAD ALOHA AND MUSIC TO THE WORLD!! PEACE and please I am open to all feedback!!
goodharpmike
15 posts
Apr 05, 2012
7:23 AM
FatPat, Me and a buddy are coming from Richmond, VA. And ConFlictz above will also be meeting us in VA from NY. We are planning on driving it this year, but aren't sure whether to rent a car or hitch a ride (we're not too confident in our vehicles for that kind of distance). Are you driving or flying? If you're in need of a ragtag group of road-trippin' harp players to split gas, let me know.
FatPat
15 posts
Apr 05, 2012
11:39 AM
Mike, this is a classic " NO Shitter!! My wife was threatening to go because she didn't care for me driving by myself. Long short short I decided to fly and bought my ticket Wednesday!
I would have preferred to drive with some other crazies! Go figure.
I could have picked you guys up in Richmond!!
Let's be sure to meet!

Pat Seay
goodharpmike
18 posts
Apr 08, 2012
12:02 PM
Wish I had contacted you sooner, Pat.
Oh well, that means we can look forward to a good road trip next year. We'll see you in MS.
Obsessed
5 posts
Apr 14, 2012
8:47 PM
From Calgary, Alberta. Arrive in Memphis airport at 1:13 pm on Friday, May 18. Not sure how I will get to Foxfire where I plan to tent. Been waiting forever for HCH-3. A cab seems a bit pricey as well as boring for only one person. And even more boring to rent and drive by self. Then to get back to Memphis on Monday at 2:12 pm somehow. Only one medium bag I figure.
So, if any one out of Memphis about then, I would be more than happy to share some conversation as well as chip in costs of car or cab. Looking forward to the fantastic harp like that of last year. Same for the return trip although probably a lot less conversation and more sleeping. Really hope I can avoid the rental car stuff. --Grant
Dhammer
8 posts
Apr 16, 2012
3:03 PM
Grant - I am arriving around the same time at the Memphis airport. I will probably be renting a car then. I have promised one other guy a ride from there, so I should be able to help out. Contact me at dov@dovhammer.com - Hammer
\
Tachee
1 post
Apr 16, 2012
3:21 PM
Grant, Hammer, Others! I'm also landing in Memphis around 1:00 p.m. Friday afternoon. I've already reserved a rental car. I'll have room for one or two people in the car. I'm leaving Sunday late afternoon is the only rub. My contact info is larry@brocklawfirm.com.

P.S. Flying in from Southern California.

Last Edited by on Apr 16, 2012 3:22 PM
Dhammer
10 posts
Apr 17, 2012
6:06 AM
Larry thanks for the offer. My flight out of Memphis is at noon on Monday (so I can stay until the end on Sunday night) and , as I am staying at Wall doxy park, I think I'll need a car to get in and out of Foxfire (and Oxford on Friday) while I'm there
Dhammer
11 posts
Apr 18, 2012
12:19 AM
Pat - How can I contact you directly (email)? My email is dov@dovhammer.com
Dhammer
12 posts
Apr 18, 2012
2:21 PM
Hey, Larry - I might just take you up on that ride from Memphis airport if you still have room - I was thinking about heading down to Oxford to see Adam Gussow's show that afternoon if possible - how about you?
Sruvane
1 post
May 06, 2012
5:31 PM
I'm coming from CT...flying in on Thursday and planning to visit Graceland on Friday morning. I'm staying at Wall Doxey State Park. I don't know if I am more terrified or excited to be going to this festival by myself. A 57 year old grandma. I started playing the harp about a year ago, cause my son was so awesome at playing the harp, and I thought it was amazing that he had taught himself to play. Well, he was also a rhythm guitarist, so now I get it. Anway, I love this instrument. My son's gone now so I wanted to do something fun that would keep me involved with musical good times <3. Just my luck that all the beginner lessons are at 8 am.

Last Edited by on May 06, 2012 5:38 PM
Sruvane
2 posts
May 07, 2012
4:35 AM
@pharpo...thanks for making me feel welcome!!

Last Edited by on May 07, 2012 4:57 AM
lynn
3 posts
May 07, 2012
8:20 AM
^^Hi Sruvane. I'm a woman traveling alone too. Also a beginner player. So you won't be the only one. We're going to have a ball and learn a lot. :-)
theATL
10 posts
May 08, 2012
12:12 AM
Road tripping in from Atlanta. Very much looking forward to seeing everyone there. Staying at Wall Doxey thanks to Pat (thank you Pat!).

@Sruvane, I will be there for the beginner session also, so you will have some (sleepy) company.
harmonica411
19 posts
May 09, 2012
12:45 PM
Hi, many of you know and all of you will by the end of Hill Country Harmonica 2012...

I'm driving in from Philadelphia starting Tuesday morning, driving straight through with my Army buddy of 25 years Scott Strong (the de-facto HCH artist-in-residence).

This is my third time at Hill Country Harmonica and it has become an annual blues tour for me...to transition from the hustle and bustle of the northeast to the slow, more gentile deep south.

Although I will probably be sweaty,busy and may occasionally carry a frown on my face from too much concentration...please don't hesitate to approach me if I can help make Hill Country Harmonica an even more fantastic experience for you.
blackwaterdan
5 posts
May 10, 2012
5:07 PM
My wife and I are driving down from west/central Wisconsin.Leaving Thur.the 17th should be there Fri. early afternoon. Were pulling a small camper and staying on site. This is our 2nd trip to HCH. Should be fun, looking forward ! See Ya there !
theATL
11 posts
May 12, 2012
2:44 PM
Coming in from Atlanta. Leaving early Friday.
atty1chgo
9 posts
May 13, 2012
7:51 AM
Coming from Chicago - where else? My girlfriend Linda and I are driving down SUV style starting at mid-day Wednesday, and should be hitting Memphis Thursday afternoon. Then check into the hotel Thursday night after partying.
FatPat
32 posts
May 13, 2012
8:57 AM
So if anyone is planning on being in Memphis Wednesday night let me know! I'll be kicking around looking for some blues.....shouldn't be too hard to find I imagine.
Sruvane
3 posts
May 14, 2012
7:55 PM
@Lynn...thanks for posting. Look forward to meeting!
Where you coming from?
Sruvane
4 posts
May 14, 2012
8:02 PM
@theATL....thanks for posting. Look forward to meeting.Wall Doxy wake up call for 8 am sessions. COFFEE!

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.